CA PI License#: PI14957; ME PI License#: 0203942
The philosophy of M.P.I. is and has always been, honesty and integrity in all investigations. Nothing is done half hearted. All resources available to M.P.I. will be used in every investigation to insure completeness of information. Honesty in an investigation is crucial because the Client needs to know accurate information so that a proper decision can be made.

Friday, October 15, 2010

I almost shot you stupid!

It was about 0100hrs when I was awakened from my peaceful sleep. The familiar voice of the dispatcher was on the other end. "There have been several calls into the station by an unknown woman. Every time she has called she sounded really upset and crying. She gives out partial information and you can hear the telephone ripped out of her hand and hung up. I have a partial address. Do you want it?" After receiving the address I jumped into my vehicle and headed to the post housing address dispatch gave me, "code 3". The pavement was wet as it had been raining. It was a little drizzly now. I thought that this was a great time for this weather as I would not be able to see the addresses. While en-route the dispatcher came on the radio and said she had called again and screamed, "He's got a knife and going to kill me." I went a little faster. When I hit the front gate I realized that I would have to turn right. So I banked left to take the right turn as straight as I could. The pavement was too wet for me to maintain traction so I did a 360 at the front gate. Of course I maintained control of the vehicle during the spin out and when I was headed in the correct direction I gunned the engine and proceeded on. I looked at the MP's at the gate in my rear view mirror. They were standing out of the gate shack, looking in my direction. I could see their mouths hanging open and the shocked look on there faces on seeing what just had occurred. I continued to the address.

When I arrived at the address there were several MP's standing around defining, "a state of confusion." I walked up to the gaggle. I noticed that the MP duty officer, a Lieutenant, was also there. I asked what's going on and was hit with multiple mouths chattering. I was thinking to my self, Great I have a "Charlie Foxtrot" here! Man what did I walk into? I then started to scan the area and noticed to my right light coming from a door way and a door leaning up against a stair well wall opposite the door way. I mentioned, "Check this out, why is this door leaning up against the wall?" With my hand on my .45 I walked up to the house and started to hug the wall approaching the doorway. I hailed the house twice and a head of a male popped out of the open doorway. I ordered him out of the house and he demanded that I have sexual intercourse with him, I guess. Thinking to my self, that would be the typical reaction of a man beating a woman and in possession of a knife. Hugging the wall, I continued to the door way. I quickly looked around the door jam into the residence and noticed a red blotch on the far wall and the red looked like it was running down the wall. At the same time an MP stated, "there is blood on the floor." I drew my .45 and locked and loaded. I then heard about 20 slides also going forward behind me. My blood pressure shot up. Here I am in "Civys", in front of a bunch of nervous trigger happy MP's. I'm in the wrong spot, they should be in front of me. To top it all off, the K-9 unit was directly behind me and the dogs snout was poking out under my crouch. My mine went to envision instant sterilization. The K-9 handler told me he would hail the house and then let the dog loose. I asked him, "Won't I be first bite?" He tried to assure me that the dog would go through me and not injure me. I thought, "Yah, my luck." K-9 hailed the house and the male re-appeared. I ordered him out of the house, all the time having my .45 on him. The male then realized, this is not a game and he looked like he was going to have a bowel movement. I ordered him on the opposite wall and patted him down for weapons. In the mean time a female came to the door and she looked shocked but not harmed and I didn't notice any visible injuries. I asked her if she called the MP station and she said, no. I then asked if she was injured and again she said, no. I then told an MP to explain what happened, why we were there, while I grouped all the MP's to check out the rest of the apartment building. Thinking that there was a female in distress and we were possibly given the wrong apartment number, I decided to wake up the whole apartment building and confirm that all female occupants were not in distress. I regrouped all the MP's again and found that other than being awakened everyone in the building were fine. I then went up to the Lieutenant and told him that I could not find a victim and I also checked with dispatch and there were no further calls. This is all before caller ID into Military Police dispatch. I chalked it up to a crank call.

The next day I was called into the P.M.O. (Provost Marshall's Office, basically the Chief of Police on post). I reported to the Operations Officer, a Captain. He asked what happened that morning. I told him the whole story. He then asked me if I drew my weapon. I told his, "Yes I did." He then asked me, why. I told him, "From the training I received through a Police Academy and three years of Administration of Justice Classes, I was taught that in situations like this where there is a possible stabbing victim and the response I received by the male when I approached the door, the situation called for the drawing of my weapon for defensive purposes for me and or the possible victim." He said I did a good job and that was it. The sad thing about the whole thing, an innocent person could have been killed because of a crank call.

No comments:

Post a Comment