CA PI License#: PI14957; ME PI License#: 0203942
The philosophy of M.P.I. is and has always been, honesty and integrity in all investigations. Nothing is done half hearted. All resources available to M.P.I. will be used in every investigation to insure completeness of information. Honesty in an investigation is crucial because the Client needs to know accurate information so that a proper decision can be made.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Second, First

I had my California State Private Investigators license for maybe a month when my dad called me. I was marketing my business and did not have any clients as of yet. Dad told me that his check book had been stolen and a check for about $800 had been cashed, over-drafting his account. I asked what happened and he told me that while he was at a service call in a certain community he had parked his van in a parking lot. After the service call he returned to the van and found that the vehicle had been broken into. He took inventory of the valuables that was in the van and found that the check-book had been taken. He of course called the Sheriff's Department of that area and he made a report. Later he received notice from the bank that his account was over drawn. I asked him what the Sheriff's Department was doing and he told me that there has not been any investigative activity. He also mentioned that the bank gave him the original check that caused the over draft. He told the bank that the check was forged. I told my dad to send me the check.

When I received the check I looked it over for anything that would lead to the identity of the perpetrator of the forgery of the check. I noticed on the back of the check a military i.d. card number. Also on the back of the check, the teller had written down that the person cashing the check was in the U.S. Navy. There were several Naval Bases in the Bay Area. With my vast knowledge of military procedures concerning personnel deployment and utilizing investigative techniques I determined where the Sailor that cashed the check was stationed. I then called the base and determined to what unit he was assigned. Now I had a dilemma. Was I going to drive to this Naval base and talk to this individual or what? Believe you me, I desperately wanted to go to the base and "interview" this individual. The problem I felt was, 1- Would I be able to get on base and 2- Will the unit give me the opportunity to interview this Sailor?  3- Was there available time for me to travel to the base? I finally decided to let the Sheriff's Department Detectives handle the matter. That was a humongous mistake! I should have never called the Sheriff's Detectives.

I informed the "Detective" that I located the suspect. I first mentioned that on the rear of the check was written the unique military I.D. card number and that the suspect should be asked for his military I.D. to compare the numbers. Anticipating that the suspect would indicate that his military I.D. was either lost or stolen and someone else used it, I advised the "Detective" of the particulars of the military when it comes to an either lost or stolen military I.D. If the suspect indicated that his military I.D. was either lost or stolen ask for a Military Police Report concerning the lost or stolen military I.D. The military I.D. is a controlled item, meaning that the I.D. card is a sensitive item and has to be reported before a new one may be issued. The Sailor would then need to carry the Police Report on his person until the I.D. was replaced to show why the card was not in being carried. The report would be filed at the Military Police Station and in the Military Personnel Office, so if the suspect says he threw out the report, the report can still be obtained. Then the interrogation can move forward from there.

A couple of days later I received a telephone call from the "Detectives" who stated that they did not feel that the suspect committed the forgery. I asked if his I.D was checked. The answer was no. They just interviewed him and he seemed to not be involved in the matter. They talked with him for about 15 minutes. Man, was I mad. The pride and arrogance of the "Detectives" prevented them from using the information that I provided to them. Why? I was just a "civilian", they are the cops. They know all. They knew of my Military Police background, they knew I was a Private Investigator because when I provided them with the information they asked how did I know about this information and I told them about my background and current status.

So this was really my first case as a P.I. and my first taste of the response and type of co-operation I would receive from Law Enforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment